Cancer of unknown origin, devastated

• 2 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi all. I am 24 and my dad is 52. He has been poorly for 2 years, has undergone numerous tests and been fobbed off by doctors for the whole length of time. Long story short, he has 48 hours ago told me he has been diagnosed with terminal cancer, has max 18 months. They have found a lump in his intestine which they think is secondary and spots on his stomach. He is undergoing endoscopy on Saturday and will have further tests to see if he is eligible for treatment. I am devastated. I have been screaming at night and cannot cope. My mum is 57 and is losing her life partner, been together 28 years. He has told me he won’t be there for my wedding May 2024. Please tell me someone else has gone through this. I am inconsolable I don’t know what to do. I feel like my life is over and I’m worried my mum won’t be able to cope.

• Hi. I’m so sorry to hear about your dad, I found out on Tuesday that my dad has stomach cancer stage 4 which has spread To his lungs: he has had 2 litres of fluid drained two weeks ago and the build up again has happened so quickly he is having a permanent drain on Tuesday. My mum is 84 my dad is 75…I’m devastated, he has been given 12 months. I don’t understand why this is happening I am so broken also. I don’t know how mum willl cope or my daughter who is 12….he wants a family meeting this weekend to discuss his funeral. Sending much love x

• Thank you for your message, so sorry to hear you are going through something similar. My once physically strong dad is now thin and frail and shivering all the time I just can’t cope. He has a endoscopy on Saturday when a biopsy will be taken to determine some sort of confirmation of what he is going through. It is just ruining me. I had a good morning today however by 4pm it was horrendous again, when I cry he cries so I find myself holding in my emotions even though he tells me not to. Have you got any other support? We have been referred to a hospice who can give us some sort of support. I just cannot imagine a life without him and don’t want him being in pain xx