Mental Health

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hi new here just some support and advice my mum had a lobectomy for lung cancer and has completed chemotherapy I have been her carer throughout the process which has been about 5 months I have almost took every negative comment and anger outbursts on the chin but this past week after her last treatment session and ringing the bell, it has been a strain becoming insulting and negative towards me and my partner and getting very personal I.e about our parenting to our 3 year old it’s like she hates us! It’s affecting my mental health and my partners I suffer from anxiety and having regular attacks in fear I’m going to do or say something wrong. I just want to get her the help she needs to heal we have always been so close my mum is my best friend. Any advice on medication or experience with chemotherapy that could be causing this? And any advice on assisting someone to talk to someone who was stubborn pre cancer? X

• Oh Melody83, I feel for you here.  

My husband was diagnosed with a stage 4 brain tumour in Sept 2020 and when he was going through his 6 weeks of treatment he could be so cutting and cruel with his comments. 

I've tried to tell myself that its not really him saying these things but its the tumour. Easier said than done I know. 

It might be worth a chat to your mum's medical team to check if the behaviour is linked to her medication. Some steroids can make the person quite bad tempered.

This group is a really safe and supportive space so please reach out here anytime. There's always someone around to listen who gets it. You're not alone here. We hear you.

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For now though I'm sending you a huge virtual hug. Stay strong. Try not to take these comments to heart. I'm sure you're doing an awesome job here.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm