last birthday

• 15 replies
  • 50 subscribers

today I am organising my husband's birthday...we were told in March that his prostate cancer for which he is 4 years post diagnosis is now terminal and with the palliative chemo he is now having he will be lucky to get a year...so now I am sorting his birthday which is in September aware that unless a miracle happens it is the last birthday he will celebrate....and after 9 years together we got married in April following his prognosis...so today I have chosen the first...and last happy birthday to my husband card I will send..he will be 64. ..heart breaking

• Thank you so glad I found this forum and to see others in a similar situation as myself ,he's still managing the finances etc as it's mobility is the issue,he makes me feel as if all I think of is myself and I'm sure he thinks I want him gone but reality is he's in denial about how serious his illness is and we need to think ahead I feel like he's not bothered about me and the future 

• Thanks LeeBee, I’m so sorry to hear your husband is in more pain now. That’s very tough to see and deal with. I think you’re right about encouraging him to eat and drink. My chap has been a bit like that with food. It will have it if I make something. 
    Very nice to share with someone going through sane thing, but not nice we are going through this.

The whole thing is just very sad 

• I think all cancer sufferers go through a number of stages....anger, disbelief,blame and finally acceptance.

Sounds like he's still in denial so it may be an idea to get a McMillan nurse to have a talk to him about where he's up to and you can say how you're feeling too.

Sometimes it's easier coming from a professional as they have the answers and information he'll need

Thinking of you both x

• hi leebee. thank you so much for your reply.it so helps to know we re not alone going through these terrible times..

I saw your more on finances...we were lucky enough to hear about a weekly payment from the government for people with short life expectancy.we spoke to a Macmillan nurse and got help filling it in.its a bit of a process but so worth it...we used some of the money to buy a mattress topper for my husband who has pain affecting his sleep and it has made such a difference.its not means tested and can be up to £150 a week.do get in touch with Macmillan to find out more.

wishing you all the best at this difficult time.x

• Thank you for the information which I will look into x