Loss of taste 1 year after treatment

• 2 replies
  • 46 subscribers

I am looking for some advice please. My husband finished treatment for stage 4 Squamous Cell Carcinoma base of the tounge 1 year ago.   He was making a steady  recovery  untill he developed an ulcer that would not heal in March this year.  He had a biopsy to remove the ulcer  and also a small piece of his tongue removed.  Since then he has a constant numb sensation in his mouth and jaw but the thing that bothers him most  is his a complete loss of taste.   When he spoke to his  Consultant he just said "it is early days yet" .

My question is is it possible to his regain taste and if so is there anything my husband could possibly try to improve this.   I would be really grateful for any advice. Thank you.

Welshpony

• Hi

My wife had a ranula cyst removed from under her tounge and still says that side of her mouth is not quite right but it does not really bother her much.

Perhaps it might be helpful to direct this question at Ask a Nurse because they are likely to have a wider experience that we might find here. 

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Steve

Thank you so much for your reply and really useful information.  I will ask the nurse if they have any advice on this.  Thanks once again. 

Caroline Aka Welshpony