Can my daughter claim for being a carer?

• 3 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hello,

I have just joined this group today. My husband was diagnosed with stomach cancer about five weeks ago and he starts Chemotherapy tomorrow. What I would like to know if anyone can help is would our daughter be able to get Carers Allowance, only I myself suffer from Fibromyalgia and my husband did a lot for me when I had really bad days. I want to be there for my husband while he as his treatment,and when he as the operation which they will be taking the whole of the stomach away but I I'm afraid that I won't be able to do this if I get a bad day,our daughter said not to worry because she will be here to help and she'll take time off work  but we don't want her to be out of pocket and we're not in the position to help her if and when she'll need to help . I know people are going through a lot more and this might seem trivial. Any suggestions would help thank you xx

Tinker16Bell

• Hello

I enquired about this when I was caring for my Wife, but I wasn’t eligible, because of my pension income, There are various condition, it may be easier to phone or email, see below, to get a definite answer.

Carers UK information and support

Our telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 fromMonday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (advice@carersuk.org)

The two main Government criteria are

• your earnings are £132 or less a week after tax, National Insurance and expenses
    • you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone

there are others, https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

I am not sure if it helps anyone, be a carer unless they are out of work, not even sure if JSA is enough to disqualify, it’s not very helpful, I’m afraid

good luck, let us know how you get on

sending you love and strength x

Sweat Linda You are my best memory, You are all of my best memories

• ArthurD,

Thank you for your reply I'm still looking into it but at the moment it does look like my daughter will not qualify . Hope all is well with you and your family.

Tinker16Bell

• Thank you

yes the carers allowance is not easy to qualify for.

take care

Sweat Linda You are my best memory, You are all of my best memories