Husband, Dad, Manager and now Carer?????

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hi all, my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in November, had surgery in December and is now going through chemo and struggling. We have two great lads who seem to be taking all of this in their stride...

I work FT as a manager and had too through out the pandemic due to being in health care and have recently been taken over by a new company and all the staff issues that have come from that. Then my wife was diagnosed.....

How the hell do you all cope? From being a stable stereotypical family with 2.4 Children and the Ford Mondeo (ok mines a Kuga, but you know what I mean) to suddenly becoming the main parent/Carer along with the bread winner?

Last week I had a meltdown down at work and had to walk away from a discussion before I did/say something that I would regret personally as well as professionally, I have since made the choice to take some time off but that's not a long term solution....

Someone pl stop the train as I want to get off!!!

• Hi @cjb and welcome to our community - yep life sucks and sometimes we get knocked down.

What helped me - other than following your lead and taking a break from work was to do a living with less stress course. A key element for me was realising that I had already written off my wife and was working our how I would cope without her - well six years down the line she is still here so that fear was much worse than things turned out. Life does still like throwing curve balls though - the conscious breathing techniques can be really helpful for dealing with those.

If we look at Your feelings when someone has cancer I certainly recognize a lot of things I went through - we just have the one son and mostly he copes but sometimes he wobbles too - school have been really great in supporting him though.

In terms of your work it might help you to talk to someone from our work support service.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge