My Wife has been diagnosed with Kidney cancer

• 2 replies
  • 44 subscribers

I now live in Turkey and my wife is Turkish, unfortunately, I don't speak much Turkish, for the past two years my wife has had several treatments for cancer, on the brain and in the chest, she also suffered a brain swelling and can not walk great distances and she is cognitively impaired and her balance is very poor. She received Radiation therapy for the brain and chemotherapy for chest cancer. She has been visiting the hospital every 3 months for check-ups, last checkup they found a 12 mm lesion on her kidney so they wanted to do a scan, the result is she has cancer in her kidney and will undergo more radiation therapy. She is one brave lady it's me who is the angry one, I am fuming, after all, she has been through and now this. I am at a loss it's so frustrating because I can't get the information I need, the system over here is so different. I worked as a social worker so I am aware of the need for information given to the family but it's different over here, for me, it's too relaxed, my daughters are Turkish and they are trying their best but they take what is said as law me I want to know the whys and wherefores. Doctors are not Gods and you can ask questions but when I start asking questions it is frowned upon so to speak. Its not them it's me feeling helpless and afried and totally useless. I wish I could do more but I can't and that's what's killing me. It's the uncertainty of the now events will the treatment work or will it not? Sorry about the rant but it's dragging me down so I needed to vent.

• Hi Zap 

my heart goes out to you all being diagnosed is a bolt out of the blue …… even when living in the UK any diagnosis is traumatic…… my husband was diagnosed with lung cancer 2 days before Christmas 21 and has just had his second immunotherapy treatment 

my husband ‘seems’ to be handling it me…… I’m in pieces 

All I can say is don’t apologise here for your vent us carers on here support each other…..

Keep strong and yes keep asking I do as like you I want to know the whys and where fores but at least I can understand the consultants….

Keep asking

Take care

Bess

• Thanks for your reply Bess, Figen seems to be handling it as well it's me that's not, I find it had to put a brave face on and try to be positive. For over 2 years now years, it's been very stressful and it gets to me on times. It's like living in a vacuum with no way out. I know I am not the only one and this is not self-pity it's just how I feel. I feel really inadequate totally useless as I can't protect the one I love.    

I am trying to enjoy every minute spent with my wife, I put on a brave face and just try to get on with things, I have a wicked sense of humour which helps my wife at times  (I hope) I try to make her happy and keep her smiling whilst inside I am slowly crumbling. We have lived through the past two years since she was diagnosed with cancer, it's like being on a knife's edge, will it come back ???? Then I took her on a bus trip for a few days to give her a surprise but it was a disaster. I wish I had never taken her she fell down and was very stressed out. We broke with the tour and went home, she couldn't walk properly her balance had gone, she was very confused cognitively and her speech was impaired. We went to the hospital and saw the neurologist and she told us  Figen had a swelling in the brain. The swelling has gone down now but the symptoms are still there I blame myself for this as I took her on the trip,  I feel really guilty about this. Now the kidney diagnosis I feel so angry, it seems like one thing after another. She is a brave lady and it's breaking my heart to see her suffering like this.