Masectomy w/ reconstruction hospital time

• 1 reply
  • 3 subscribers

Hi all,

I'm a lone parent looking at getting a masectomy with immediate reconstruction. I know masectomy alone I could be home same day - that seems common. But I'm wonder what the most likely time in hospital is for mas w/recon

I know it's obviously different for everyone, and it could be up to 7 days. But I'd like to know how long people have spent in hospital.

I am young (41) and on good health. 

My concern is that I have no one to take care of my child if I'm in for a week, or am unable to do 2x 10 min walks a day when I get out of hospital.

So can people please tell me about your experience? Did you stay in for 2-3 days or longer? Were you able to take short walks when you got home?

Thanks in advance. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I can't help with your question as I had a lumpectomy but thought I'd suggest that you also post this question in the breast cancer group , which I can see you've joined. You'll then connect directly with others who have these procedures and who will be able to share their experiences with you.

It would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and proposed treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"