Ibandronic acid tablets

• 10 replies
  • 17 subscribers

Hi has anyone been taking these tablets 

• Hi  

I'm not on these tablets but have an infusion of Zometa every 6 months. This is also a bisphosphonate like ibandronic acid.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• How have you got on with the zometa infusions?

• They've been fine. I haven't had any side effects and have had 4 so far.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Latchbrook, I had one zolodronic infusion had a bad leg after for a week then thought try the tablets but every day 30min before breakfast don't lie down ,so I thought I have another infusion get it over and done with how have you been on it? 

• I've had 4 infusions, one every 6 months, and haven't had any problems.

Community Champion Badge

• Hi, hope I be the same then every six months 6 of them 

• Hi Latchbrook

Can I ask, do you know if a GP can arrange this infusion, or does it have to be arranged by the oncology team? Do you have yours at a hospital?

I'm only asking because my latest CT scan shows a lack of bone density, so I've been referred for a bone density scan. I'll probably need medication for it, and wondering about the options.

Thanks!

Kate

• Hi  

Mine was arranged by my oncologist as part of my treatment for breast cancer.

I have it in the medical day unit at the hospital. It's given via a canula from a bag and takes about 15 minutes for it to flow through. I then have a saline flush for a few more minutes, also administered through the canula from a bag.

I don't know for definite, but I wouldn't think it's something that a GP can do.

Community Champion Badge

• I hope so too. The plan for me is to have it for a minimum of 3 years and for a total of 5 years ideally.

Are you not having it in tablet form now then?

Community Champion Badge

• Yes oncologist organised it for me too