Dentist

• 3 replies
  • 17 subscribers

I am half way through my chemo and immunotherapy for stomach cancer  and I have developed toothache I don't think its chemo related as I remember biting on something hard I was not expecting . Can I go to the dentist as normal , and can I be treated as normal obviously I will tell them my situation..I also need to see if I can get any benifit for this , but I think unlikely as I don't get any means tested benifits even though I am retired .. 

• You call your dentist or the emergency dental line for your area and talk this through….. the dentist may want to talk with your clinical team….. but I had to have dental treatment during my chemo for my lymphoma.

I don’t think that dental treatment comes under any benefit but I was actually an inpatient when my dental issue kicked off so my medical team arranged for me to have treatment at the hospital dental department and when this was being done my chemo trolley was standing behind me with me connected to it.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• When I was diagnosed with incurable  cancer I went to Maggies and got full benefits and a letter from my oncologist to the dentist and had all my teeth out so I don't get toothache again 

Lee

• Your clinical team should be able to advise if there are any issues having dental treatment given the chemo / immunotherapy drugs you are on. I do know Zoledronic acid (brand name Zometa) can cause concerns. I have had dental treatment whilst being on chemo and immunotherapy  

If you are registered with an NHS dentist you should be able to get a priority appointment if you mention cancer and chemotherapy.

I can’t comment on costs or help with costs, unfortunately even nhs treatment if you can find it is not free.