Anger issues

• 7 replies
  • 17 subscribers

Since my husband started having chemo, he has changed. I understand the anger and stress having been diagnosed with thd cancef and having to put up with all the side effects after chemo. Being his wife I try to do anything to help. However there are often times when I feel,  what ever I do or say makes him angry and I feel I only irritate him. I often get shouted at and I feel that the person I married 41 years ago is not there any more. He is like a different person.  I can't really tell anyone else how the life is at the moment. I feel totally helpless and lost. Also the thought I might lose him and I will be left behind all on my own is back on my mind. 

How do you cope with this kind of situation?? Is there any help?

• Hi, it is natural, his he on steroids? I have incurable gliablastima brain cancer and my temper at first was horrendous, between balancing steroids that I can never come off with other meds I have after months learned to cool down a little by little and my wife says she's seen a big difference, I hope that things work out for you and I'm sure it will but mat take time.

Lee

• Thanks Lee coming back on this. Yes he is on steroids and some other medication as well. The certainly has changed our life. Hopefully it will get better. I wish you all the best! 

• Hi  sorry to hear this…… going through cancer treatments can indeed develop some unwanted challenges at home…... the important thing to remember is that it’s just not your husband….. but it’s hard.

The Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms)……… but you don’t say what type of cancer your husband has but if you care to have a look through THIS LIST you will find all our dedicated cancer support groups listed…… it’s so important to get the right group as not all cancers and treatments react in the same way.

As for the practical and emotional challenges of supporting your husband and indeed yourself you may benefit from joining and posting in our…….

Carers only 

Supporting someone with incurable cancer (if this is appropriate)

…….. support groups where you will connect with others navigating the same support challenges.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• So sorry to hear you're going through this. It's tough to see your loved one change and feel helpless.

Remember, his behavior is likely due to the chemo and diagnosis, not you. Take care of yourself, communicate with his medical team, and seek support for yourself too. You're doing your best, and that's something to be proud of.

• Hi Lee, thank you for being so open and honest, a gesture I'm sure will help other couples who are sadly going through a similar experience.

Eddie

• Hi Eddie, I hope so too, we are all in the same boat and have to keep afloat mate

Lee

• That's so true Lee, It's good to let others know sometimes the things you do are not your fault, take care my friend.

Essie