Double Dilemma

• 5 replies
  • 18 subscribers

Hello, This is my first post here and I am a complete newbie to this forum. I was diagnosed with breast cancer last Tuesday and my husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer on the Friday. Not the best week of the year. We are still both having checks, tests and chats to choose out best options. My husband has a lot of other illnesses which could limit his choices and I feel like I have to just get on with it. Have my surgery and get back to being a mummy and carer. I'm hoping that my positive attitude will help me through but if anyone has any advice for a rapid recovery from either a lumpectomy or a mastectomy then I would appreciate any help. xxx

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your and your husbands diagnoses.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The Community is actually divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Breast Cancer support group fir yourself and our Prostrate Cancer support group fir yor husband.

These groups are safe places to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support……. and talk with others support family.

To connect in with the group please click on the links belowPoint down

Breast cancer

Prostate cancer

…… then once the group page opens click in the [Black - Click to Join - Banner] that appears at the bottom of the page and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

When you are ready……. you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear. We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hello Leona4 and a warm welcome to the forum. You are at the right place for support, a wee chat and even some laughs. I am so glad I decided to join the community. I don’t feel so isolated and lonely anymore and know, if I ask a question , answers will follow. You and your husband are in my thoughts and I hope you two will get as much comfort and feeling of a safe space as I did. 

Hugs to you both from Alana xxx

• Thank you Alana, I am still at the stage of not knowing what our treatment is going to be. Although we know radiotherapy, chemotherapy and operations are in the near future, we are still waiting for final results. Is it always a waiting game? xx

• Yes, waiting for results will be part of your future treatment plan. This place is so good for your soul. No question is to trivial and you can be honest about your worries, feelings and uncertainty without fear. We are all in the same boat when all is said and done and do our best to help and support each other along the rocky road. Don’t hesitate to post a question or just check in for a chat. The helpline here is very good if you feel like getting support from one of the MacMillan nurses.

big virtual hug to you both from Alana in Scotland xxx

• Hi Leona4 and a warm welcome from me, just wanted to say, like your husband I have prostate cancer with many other illnesses as well which have impacted my treatment options, I would be happy to help anyway I can, though would suggest for the very best support and information you join the prostate cancer forum as Mike Thehighlander has suggested, I don't know if your husband would be willing to join but partners are just as welcome too, Indeed there are probably more wives/partners on the forum than guys and we really are a friendly bunch, more than happy to share our knowledge and experiences with everyone fighting this awful disease, my best wishes to you and your husband take care.

Eddie xx