Problems eating

• 2 replies
  • 17 subscribers

My wife is having problems swallowing she says it feels like food is getting stuck halfway down her chest. She has just finished radiotherapy for her brain and is on reduced steroids. Anyone else had this issue or any advice? She is taking gaviscon.

• Hello  

I am so sorry to read of your wife's issues. If she feels like food is getting stuck halfway down her chest I would bring it up with the Oncology team tomorrow. If the problem is any higher  - her throat I would be down to A & E or your local emergency centre right away.

I do hope the radiotherapy has worked and you can resolve this issue for her.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Gary1957, radiotherapy to head or neck area can lead to dysphagia, a not uncommon side effect where saliva production is reduced and the muscles in the throat tighten it requires medical attention, Gary it is a swallowing disorder and has little if any impact on breathing, the main concern with dysphagia is weight loss through having difficulty swallowing, as Brian has also said talk to one of your medical team, take care.

Eddie