Health Care System

• 2 replies
  • 16 subscribers

My oncologist/hematologist noticed a large lump in my neck. CT scan revealed a mass. I will follow up with a surgeon and then afterwards I will get a biopsy. I live in Virginia and it is almost impossible to get in touch with a doctor. A message left on an answering machine gets no response. If I do ever have any contact, it is with a receptionist who doles out medical advice as if they were doctors. There is a lack of sympathy among healthcare professionals in this country. My oncologist/hematologist spends five minutes with me and never examines me. Much of the healing process involves the doctor/patient relationship but I have found that there is barely a relationship at all.

• Hello  and a warm welcome to the online Community.

That's a shocking way to go about treating "clients" and I do hope you can resolve this. I can advise you the Community is divided into many forums and chat rooms which are cancer specific. To get some support and join others on the same or similar journey may I suggest you join

Head and neck cancer forum 

To do this just click on the link I have provided and when the page opens up you can join the forum by clicking on "join" on the black banner at the bottom of the page. You can then introduce yourself in the "New Here - Say Hello" by either reposting or copying and pasting your original post.

If I can do anything else for you please get back to me.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thank you so much for your quick response to my post and for the information you have provided to me.

Joe