2WW referral- how long should I wait for an appointment

• 2 replies
  • 16 subscribers

Hello all. 

Last year I had treatment for breast cancer. Grade 3, lymph nodes clear and 27mm tumour. Lumpectomy, OncotypeDX of 1 followed by 9 rounds of radiotherapy. I’m also taking meds to eradicate oestrogen. 

On the 7th March my hairdresser noticed a lesion on my scalp so the next day I managed to get an appointment at the local surgery with a medical professional. They took a photo and saw one of the GPs for a second opinion who suspected melanoma.The outshot of this was that a 2WW referral was made. I understand the system has changed but heading towards three weeks since referral and the anxiety of waiting for an appointment is not good.

How long do you think is reasonable to wait before contacting surgery please? 

• Hi  

Waiting to be seen when your GP has referred you can be a very worrying time. As you say the old 'two week wait' has been replaced by the Faster Diagnosis Standard (FDS) of 28 days from referral to diagnosis. As you have waited 21 days so far and still do not have an appointment date, I would get in touch with your GP to make sure the referral was actually done and if so, ask them to chase it up for you or give you the phone number for dermatology appointments so you can chase it yourself.

As you know, the online community is divided into different support forums so I'm going to recommend that you join us over in the melanoma forum which is a great place to ask questions, share experiences and get support. You could then find out how long others are currently waiting or were waiting.

To join, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you so much latchbrook. I really appreciate your response. I’ve joined the Melanoma group.