Depression and Cancer

• 1 reply
  • 16 subscribers
  • Hi my Mother is living with cancer. It’s been 3 years now and her treatment is working. The biggest problem is her anxiety and depression. She is under the mental health team and is on lots of anti depressants which have lots of side effects. The problem is she goes to bed quite often during the day and is disinterested in what’s going on around her. She says she’s afraid and she is weepy. I am utterly exhausted and run down with trying to appease my Mother as are my brother and Sister and everyone who tries to help. We are at our wits end with what to do. Who do we contact? Who can help us help her please? She keeps focusing on saying she is really ill every day  and keeps saying she needs to go into hospital. She is a long way off that at this time. The palliative care people have said she’s not an emergency. 
  • Hi  

I'm sorry to read that your mum is suffering from depression following her diagnosis of incurable cancer and I can understand how this must be very difficult for you and the rest of your family.

As you know, the online community is divided into different support forums so I'm going to recommend that you join the supporting someone with incurable cancer forum which is a great place to connect with others who are in a similar position.

To join, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could put something about your mum's diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"