What to expect at 1st appointment

• 2 replies
  • 16 subscribers

Hi newbie here with a million questions as you can imagine.

Back story I've been having earache for some time in my right ear which has been getting more frequent and more painful,  the GP said no infection and the ENT also said the same ( altho he was absolutely waste of space ) although it seems I have some hearing loss in that ear as well...

Anyhow last week my teeth started hurting as well as my ear so I made an appointment to see the dentist thinking perhaps i have a cavity and that the pain is from that.

No cavity and no infection present, so he took some xrays, he excused himself to ask a colleague for their opinion also on the findings, 

Above my top teeth right side - there is a black area showing up on the xrays and the dentist is unsure what it is and said it does look a bit sinister but anything bad in that area is very rare.

He said it was a sinus infection I'd be in tremendous pain unable to bend forward etx and that is not the case.

The dentist said he would be referring me under the 2 week cancer route as he doesn't like the look of it, doesn't know what it is and also with the hearing loss etx. This was about 3pm Thursday.

By 10am today Friday I had a message with an appointment for Monday afternoon. Now that is what I call rapid !! And has me more worried.

My question is at my appointment - at the hospital- what are they likely to do test wise on the day? I assume perhaps more xrays as they always like their own? Will they get me back another day for a CAT / MRI scan or book me in that day,  will I need bloods? 

If they think a biopsy is needed how soon is that likely to be?

I know no-one will know definitely what they will do but from experience I'd like to have a little idea what may happen.

I'm also away the following week See no evil which will no doubt delay things.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

It's natural to want to know what you might expect when you go to hospital for tests so I hope you don't mind me recommending that you also join and post in the head and neck cancer group. This isn't because I think you have cancer but because there you'll be able to ask questions about what to expect from people who have been where you are now.

To join just click on the link I've created and then join and start a new post in the same way as you did here. You can also join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi

Hi

I can’t say for certain but it’s highly unlikely they’ll do anything on the first appointment, it’s likely to be a chat. MRIe scans take ages to arrange so you would have an appointment through long ago for that, you may have a blood test but that would be all. Speed is a good thing and quite common for cancer checks in my experience but nothing to worry about at this stage