Pushing loved ones away?

• 2 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Hello everyone 

I have just finished my 28 chemo radiation treatments for anal cancer. And I’m wondering if it’s just me but ever since I started treatment I’ve basically pushed everyone away.  I live on my own but have lots of friends within my church community but I don’t want to see them or have them help me.  I’m afraid they don’t understand and are getting fed up of my reasons for wanting to be left alone.  Even though sometimes I’m in so much pain and need help.  Anyone go through this? Xx

• Hi , your post caught my eye so thought I would drop in past and give you some support.

A cancer journey can be so challenging and everyone reacts differently. So folks do go into their own protective shell, for some this is the best way to deal with the journey, for others it closes out family and friends as they just can’t deal with them or even want to protect them.

People who have not walked the cancer journey truly don’t understand what it’s like so this in itself leads to people tending to say nothing as honestly they just don’t know what to say or do.

My cancer is 23 years long and counting with some very challenging times (hit my community name for my story) so our family, friends and our amazing Church family have been there right through the journey…… I have been totally open with my journey so everyone knew when things are good and when things were not so good.

My wife needs as much support as me so it was important for me that this would happen.

I do see you have joined our little but supportive Religion, spirituality and prayer group…… you may consider posting in the group as it will open your conversation to like minded people ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Mike…I have just read your story and my jaw literally dropped.  So much suffering over so many years for you and your family.  And yet here you are reaching out and supporting me and others. Thank you, and God bless you and your family.  I’ll be holding you in prayer  HeartPray