Do you have a Stigmatised or Embarrassing Cancer?

• 25 replies
  • 24 subscribers

and How does it make you feel?

I've just been reading an article that says that stigmatised (eg lung and liver) cancers and embarrassing cancers, (basically in any area of the body that people find difficult to talk about,  cervical and anal cancer are two examples) don't receive anything like the funding that the more popular ones receive.  Even though the popular ones have very good survival rate percentages. Lack of awareness is shocking as well 

It doesn't make sense as often times its the embarrassing/stigmatised ones that are usually the most deadly.

I myself have lung cancer and have already noticed a different attitude towards me  from friends, compared to when mutual friends have had, for instance,  breast cancer.

I dont smoke, except briefly in my early twenties. I have always looked after myself and until recently regularly ran half marathons

I wonder whether anyone will be baking cakes for me?

Doubt it somehow.

I know I sound bitter and would never voice these thoughts in public, but thought this was a safe space to do so.

And I wonder what others thoughts are on this.

I personally think that people, no matter which cancer they have, are all entitled to kindness, compassion and above all  - non judgement.

• Lulabell and everyone else.  I wish you weren't all going through this, but its comforting to know that others "get' me.   And they don't judge.

• Hi Sarah,

I'm having a real rough day today and came across your post! Before this I had no words or thoughts on how I really felt inside! But this is it!! I'm back in therapy and recovering from strep B FFS that's why I haven't been on the forum much recently but hopefully councelling will help with the struggle. Hope you're keeping well and enjoyed your holiday.

Angela xx

• Hi Angela

Sorry to hear you were having a rough day…hope it’s a bit better today. Glad to hear you’re getting some counselling, and I really hope it’s helpful for you. Holiday was pretty much a disaster due to us having some cold/flu thing and being freezing in the heat and stuck in the hotel for 6 days. But never mind-the view was lovely from the balcony! Joy

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Oh Sarah that's awful, hope it didn't take too much away from your holiday? It's probably a virus fgs. Is it cleared now?  I was in Salou 2 weeks ago and we had the worst thunderstorm they've seen in 15 years but we made the most if it lol..Councelling is helping so much, I just want to be me again and it's not happening but I'm trying to deal with it. I seem to be getting worse instead of better! My CNS has enrolled me in something called "move better" it's 12 free weekly sessions of my choice in any leisure centre! Wow! I've joined an exercise class with small numbers and every person there is a cancer patient! I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully it helps. Stay healthy xx

• Still not right Angela and that’s 2 weeks now, but getting there. We had some tremendous thunderstorms in Majorca-really spectacular, and some rain but also some lovely weather. Unfortunately being stuck in the room meant we didn’t get to make much of our holiday at all, but it’s just one of those things. 

I’ve heard good things about the “move better” courses, but unfortunately it’s not something I could take advantage of-hopefully you’ll see a real benefit in your mental health too doing this. 

I think I’ve had to accept that I’m never going to be the person I was before my diagnosis-too much has changed, and I’ve been through too much to ever be the same person again, but that’s ok. It’s just a very different life now for me.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Sarah I agree with what you say about not being the same person.  I had issues before I was diagnosed with my sense of self (mother inflicted) so having just ended my year of Pembro once again I'm having difficulties.  Just had my first set of scans post treatment, no results yet.  I feel like I'm waiting for it to return. X

• I know about the " life after cancer," but I feel ike I'm just not dealing,I'm sure I'll feel better soon,n bummer for Ur holidays Sobxx

• I honestly don’t see how you can be the same again after your life has been turned upside down and inside out by a cancer diagnosis. It’s so hard. I’ve had my cancer recur once, which was bad enough, but always at the back of my mind is what if it comes back again? I know my options would be very limited. I really hope your scans show successful results.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Really hope things improve for you, Angela. I don’t think anyone understands unless they’ve been through this whole process of diagnosis and treatment and the fear which never truly leaves you.

It was definitely a bummer with the holiday but I have one more booked this year so we’ll see how that goes. Can’t say I’m looking forward to it, and it will be a long time before I think about booking another one! 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Aww hope you're next holiday is better than this 1. I'm feeling better today but you're 100%, that fear is real and relentless but we just have to carry on best we can. Thanks for the reply xx