Can’t cope with dad’s cancer diagnosis

• 5 replies
  • 19 subscribers

My dad was diagnosed with mesothelioma last Wednesday and my world has stopped. I’m so scared. Scared for him, scared that I’m too weak to cope, scared for my mum, scared about a future without him.  The thought of seeing my once rock solid, stubborn and proud dad fade away kills me. 

I feel utterly pathetic and helpless. I wish I could swap places with him and take it all away.

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm really sorry to read about your dad's recent diagnosis and it's natural to feel as you do. I can see that you've joined the supporting someone with incurable cancer group and I'm sure if you also post there you'll get support from others who have a loved one living with an incurable cancer.

Sending a big (((hug)))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• HI lecurra

Just checking in on you. Diagnosis can hit friends and family harder than the person. Here if you need to chat or there is always the support line.

The Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00

Eddie

• Same here and to make it worse I'm disabled and my father is my main carer, he has double lung cancer and throat and he's going down hill fast lost half his body weight, he left it too late so there's nothing that can be done. So I wish you good luck

• Lecurra. I totally understand. I have just been diagnosed with Breast Cancer and it's not in my family. I am having a double mastectomy on Thursday. All I can say to you is let the NHS staff look after him, they are very good and if you are there during his appointments all the better. I preferred to get the news myself as I didn't want my family taking over at such a crucial point for me. I'm glad it's me and not my mum who is 83. I wish you all the best. Support him and go to his appointments, he'll appreciate that. I had a lump for many years and didn't get it checked and it was stage 1 and 2 cancer , which is remarkable. Think positive but I know it's hard. I'm glad it's happening to me and not anyone else in my family. 

• I lost my dad at 13 , be thankful you have him and cherish every moment.