Why do I care about the world?

• 3 replies
  • 12 subscribers

I am an atheist.  More than an agnostic, I think:  I certainly don't believe any of the gods worshipped by mankind exists.

I know my disease cannot be cured and it wil klll me, probably sooner rather than later judging by statistics of survival - It being a particularly nasty cancer.

So why do I get angry about folly and ignorance?  Why do I fear about the future of Britain (and the U.S. and the wider world), about how money and power and knowledge increasingly are drawn from the poor and the weak to the rich and the strong?  It is, by all evidence, going to be worse in the next years.   But I do care.  Why?  I'll be dead,  gone, non-existent, just a load of chemicals changing into something else;  a drop in the ocean, a few grains in the background detritis.  Why do I care about the direction of things in the future?

My husband is well catered for after my death and he is capable of looking after himself - he'll be fine.  I have no children, only a sibling and two nephews.  They're relatively advantaged and educated, if not wealthy.

Why does the truth in the Netflix "The Social Dilemmma" make me so angry and desparing?  As it gets worse I'll be dead and nothing.  Why do I care? 

• The reason you care is due to your good nature.

Even though the World needs more people like yourself, it is time for you to care about yourself instead, let others get on with their own.  Why? Well, it is because the World has far too many unresolved issues that cannot be fixed any time soon, even with the best intention in the World.  The only way is to "let it be".

It is very sad indeed.  The World could have been a better place.  Things are made worse because we live in the Information Age in human history, facts and myths are now so intertwined that it's impossible to untangle, not to mention misunderstanding one another.  Even if you had all the time in the World, how do you fix it?  If someone argues what's written in an ancient book as "the truth", you could fight till the end of the World and still wouldn't get anywhere.  Everyone needs their own fantasy.  It's their way to cope with the harsh reality.  I would rather believe in "magic".

Yes, "something" is going to get us all eventually, everyone of us.  Have you noticed how many people have unexpectedly died since your initial diagnosis?  Yet ... you are still alive !

Try not to watch films that are unpleasant.  Watch films that make you feel good.  Enjoy what you enjoy as if you didn't care.  Forget about the big picture and appreciate the little things in life.  e.g. get a good telescope and look at the stars at night.  Marvel at how fast the World travel in a second.  Create your own fantasy.  Who knows if any disease is curable or otherwise, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Let others care about you instead.  Bon courage ! 
  • Hi Fortiemac,

I think it could be the human condition and our constant search for meaning and understanding. The thought that our existence might have no sense, is completely unfair and ultimately pointless is a thought that I don’t think any of us want to dwell on and so we look for things that add meaning and understanding. 

I think the fact that you do care is important - beside from the fact that it is a nice thing to do for fellow humans, it also helps with the meaning and understanding bit. If it’s troubling you though, I think perhaps one thing you can do is accept that you probably won’t fix things or ever really understand them. It can be traumatic spending all that energy, especially when you are poorly.

For me, I still try to do my little bit in the world and I still care about things because it gives me meaning and understanding, but I have also learned to not care too much, since there are battles that it is impossible for me to win.

Hope this helps in some way,

Greg

• Hi ,

I feel much the same - intensely angry about the state of the world, and what humanity is doing to the rest of the natural world and to each other. As you say, we will all be chemicals at some point and life will go on for the rest of the world until they join the eternal recycling of atoms. I think as long as we are alive, we need to care and to rage and use that rage to do the small things we can, even if that is just giving money to good causes, writing to MPs etc. But I also agree with SuperHealer that there is time for that, but also time for not engaging with the depressing and the overwhelming, so finding the uplifting and cheerful is important. There are other good people out there who care - like the billionaire who managed to give away his whole fortune while still alive ( if only some others would follow his lead). As says there are some battles to be fought and some left for others. I think our own lives are enhanced by kindness to others and ourselves and even that small thing can make a difference in a world which seems indifferent.