NHS funding for egg embryo cryopreservation if you’re single

  • 1 reply
  • 35 subscribers

Any single woman / women couples that got NHS funding due to cancer can help me out?

I would like to freeze embryos, but everyone in the clinic I am tells me something different and are now saying bc I’m single I can’t freeze embryos even if I pay for the sperm donation to get to the clinic… so frustrating…

What I would like to do is freeze half embryos half eggs, seems impossible apparently… they are saying the funding would cover only eggs freezing…

Thank you!!

  • Hi Manuela

    Welcome to the online community I hope you’re finding it helpful to share your experience with us. You may be interested in joining the new to the community forum.

    I am sorry that you are finding it difficult to access reliable information in answer to your questions about fertility preservation.

    The answer to your question about NHS funding is not a simple one. It depends where you live, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all make their own decisions on funding fertility treatment. In England the decision about funding for fertility preservation is made locally by the Integrated Care Boards (ICBs). You can find your local ICB here and contact them directly to ask what their funding arrangements are. You may want to look at the information about Individual Funding Request (IFR) to see if you meet the criteria. You will need to discuss this further with your Consultant.

    You may find Cancer, fertility and me website helpful It is written by fertility doctors, specialist nurses, psychologists and other professionals and aims to help people think about the treatments which may help to preserve their fertility. There is a decision aid that you may find helpful to look at when considering your options.

    I hope this information has been useful, please contact us whenever we can help. 

    Take care.  




    Cancer Information Nurse Specialist  


    You can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or send us an email. Ref: KR/GHi