Chemotherapy tablets

  • 1 reply
  • 35 subscribers

I’m at present taking chemotherapy tablets Abemaciclib and I’m going to Europe soon on holiday can you advise if I need a letter from my doctor to take them through security, they are listed on the back of my repeat script as supplied by out of practice source thank you 


  • Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the Online Community. I hope you find it useful. My name’s Donna, I’m one of the cancer information nurse specialists on the Macmillan Support Line.

    We would always recommend speaking to your specialist nurse or doctor before travelling when on cancer treatment. They can tell you whether travelling is safe and explain how to prepare and what precautions to take.

    As a general rule, when taking medication out of the UK and through airport security you do have to prove it belongs to you. This can usually be done by producing a repeat NHS prescription with your details clearly marked.

    Certain medication such as Abemaciclib may require special arrangements. We would suggest you speak to your pharmacist, GP or specialist nurse as a doctor’s letter may be required.

    Be aware some countries restrict or limit the drugs that can be taken into or out of the country. If you are taking medicines abroad with you, it is important to check with the country’s embassy or high commission. You can find details of foreign embassies in the UK on

    We have a checklist on planning your trip which you may find helpful.

    I hope this helps to guide you and you have a safe and enjoyable holiday EsterLa.

    Don’t hesitate to come back if you need anything else.

    Best wishes,

    Cancer Information Nurse Specialist

    You can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or send us an email.

    Ref: DW/RH