Back pain

• 1 reply
  • 32 subscribers

Started chemo 7 days ago and woke this morning with lower back pain ,any help appreciated.

• Hi Gillco,

Welcome to our online community and thanks for posting your question. My name is Rachel and I’m one of the nurses on the Macmillan support line.

I’m sorry to read that you have woken up with back pain this morning 7 days after starting chemotherapy. I’m glad that you’ve reached out to us for information about this change.

There may be several causes of your back pain, and these may or may not be treatment related. As nurses on the support line, we don’t have access to medical records, and aren’t able to assess your symptoms.

As you’re having chemotherapy at the moment, we’d strongly suggest you call the 24-hour assessment number you were given when you started treatment as soon as possible today.

The team there have full access to your medical records and treatment plan and are best placed to assess you and give specific advice about any health or symptom changes you have while you’re on treatment.

If you don’t have this number, you should call 111 for urgent medical advice.

I hope this helps. We know it can be difficult going through cancer treatment. Please reach out to us again if you have any more questions or would like any support.

Best wishes

Rachel

Macmillan Cancer Information Nurse

You can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or send us an email

Ref: RC/ DC