• 1 reply
  • 35 subscribers


My mum has to wait for two weeks for a permanent drain for her ascites related to Pancreatic cancer.

She is very very uncomfortable, should I take her to A&E?

Many thanks. 

  • Dear Nicci

    I am sorry to hear that your mum is so uncomfortable due to her ascites. It sounds important that you get some urgent medical advice for your mum straight away. This could be via NHS 111 if you are able to get through to them promptly or via A&E. If your mum’s condition is rapidly changing or if she is having any chest pain or difficulty breathing, then call 999.

    Once you have got urgent advice, if your mum has been assigned a consultant or specialist nurse, you could let them know the situation as well, via the consultant’s secretary if necessary. They may be able to alert the oncology team to your mum’s situation. The hospital switchboard should be able to give you these numbers if you do not have them already.

    Best wishes

    Penelope, Cancer Information Nurse Specialist 

    You can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or send us an email