Depression

• 1 reply
  • 14 subscribers

Need help after cancer operation, struggling with unanswered questions and everything the cancer brings into my world 

• Hi  

My name is Jess, and I’m a Cancer Information and Support Adviser here at Macmillan.

I’m so sorry to hear of how you’re struggling at the moment, but I’m also glad you’ve taken the first step and reached out for some support from us. We’d like to help you as much as we can.

Dealing with a cancer diagnosis can be incredibly difficult. There’s no right or wrong way to feel, but it can often bring a whole host of intense and negative emotions. I’d like you to know it’s ok to feel this way  . If it might be useful, I’ve popped a link to one of our booklets below which talks about the emotional impact of cancer. It also starts to discuss ways to cope with these feelings, and different support options:

How Are You Feeling? The Emotional Effects of Cancer

Hopefully that will provide you with some reassurances, as well as further information. It might also help you to think about what the next steps might be for you.

You mentioned you’re struggling with unanswered questions – can you tell me a little more about what those questions are? Do they focus on a particular area, or is it a range of things? If you’d feel more comfortable discussing these with one of our advisers, you’re more than welcome to give us a call here on the Support Line.

I notice that you titled your post as ‘Depression’. Have you felt able to speak with your doctor or cancer team about the way you’re feeling? It can be a really valuable conversation to have, as they may be able to support you in different ways and help you to access other services too. It’s also important they are aware of your situation so they can support you in the right way. 

MIND has a really useful web page focusing on Depression itself, as well as self care. Perhaps it might feel easier to pick out one of these things, and try to incorporate this to begin with? Sometimes just taking a small step is enough, and can help you to feel more able to manage your feelings.

We can also help you to access professional support  – we have options available for free counselling, as well as peer support here on the Online Community (have you checked out our forums at all?), and our local support centres too, offering an opportunity to speak with someone face to face and access specific services.

I hope that’s given you a few avenues to think about and explore, but please do get back in touch with us if you have further questions, or if you just need a listening ear. We’re here for you.

Take care, and sending best wishes to you.

Jess
    Cancer Information and Support Adviser