Hair advice and wigs

  • 1 reply
  • 12 subscribers

I live in Romsey please can you advise me where to get hair advice and wigs once l start chemo and immunotherapy on the 3rd May.

  • Hello Stepmark and thank you for contacting the online community.

    Romsey Cancer Support Centre, Jane Scarth House, is a walk-in centre which offers practical and emotional support to anyone living with cancer, whether it is the patient or their family or carer. They offer a range of services, and you can visit their website or call them on 01794 830374 to find out more.

    You may find it helpful to talk to your hairdresser or barber Stepmark. They may already have clients who have lost their hair due to cancer treatment. They may be able to offer advice and support, and they will know what to expect next time you come in.

    Different hospitals offer different support when you are losing your hair. Your specialist nurse will know what support is available at the hospital and in your area. Some hospitals have staff who can show you how to wear different types of headwear and some hospitals run hair and beauty programmes for people with cancer.

    Our publication Coping with Hair Loss is for people with all types of hair who may lose their hair as a side effect of cancer treatment. It gives information and practical tips to help people prepare for and cope with hair loss, including information about scalp cooling and wigs.

    How are you feeling about starting your treatment Stepmark? We here to support you with any practical questions and we’re here for your emotional support too. Have you joined any of our online forums? We have forums for people with different cancers and for people having specific treatments too.

    Take care.

    Alex, Information and Support Adviser

    Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.