Firearms and shotgun licenses

  • 1 reply
  • 12 subscribers

Hi my husband is a Game keeper and has been given less than 12 months to live with throat cancer. He wants to know if he would be able to get his firearms and shotgun licenses renewed with this diagnosis please? 

  • Hello Coach and thank you for contacting the online community.

    As this is an area we’re not familiar with I would encourage you to look on the website with regards to firearm licence renewals. After a quick look myself, it seems that on the renewal form, your husband would need to disclose certain conditions, but if in doubt to ‘consult your doctor or contact the police firearms licensing department.’ You can find details for your local police force here.

    I’m sorry to hear about your husband Coach, how are you both just now? Do you feel you both have the support you need in place just now? We’d be more than happy to talk things through with you.

    We have a team of cancer specialist nurses here on the support line if you have any clinical questions you’d like to ask about your husband’s diagnosis.

    We also have a Money and Work team who can perform a benefit check for you and give guidance and information about what kind of financial support might be available. They will need information about your household income, outgoings and any savings/investments you might have.

    We’re also here for your emotional support Coach. A loved one with cancer can bring up all sorts of feelings and it can be helpful to talk about these to try and process what’s happening.

    You can call in on 0808 808 00 00 (7 days a week, 8am – 8pm), web chat or email if you’d prefer.

    Take care.

    Alex, Information and Support Adviser

    Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.