Mother in law

• 2 replies
  • 14 subscribers

My mother in law has been diagnosed with lung cancer - she's too far for treatment- how can I support my husband- he's not the best at talking and opening up - thanks x

• Hello  and thank you for contacting the online community.

I am so sorry to hear about your mother in law's diagnosis. This must be a difficult time for you all. How are you feeling just now?

When a loved one gets a diagnosis it can be a lot to get your heads around and can create all different kinds of emotions which can be difficult to talk about. Here is a link to some information that your husband may find beneficial Your feelings when someone has cancer | Macmillan Cancer Support 

I am sorry to hear that your husband struggles to open up about how he is feeling, this must be a worrying time for you just now if he is not able to talk things through with you. Does you husband find communicating in other ways easier at all? or do you feel that he would reach out and talk to us about how he is feeling? 

You both would be welcome to contact us on the Macmillan Support Line to talk things through. We offer emotional support and a listening ear, as well as signposting to any other services  or organisations that may be able to offer support. We also have a team of cancer information nurses, if you have any medical queries, and Work  support team who can give guidance on rights at work if your husband works. Please call us on 0808 808 00 00, 8 am - 8 pm, Monday to Sunday. Chat online | Macmillan Cancer Support is a link to our online chat facility, many people find chatting online an easier way to chat through how they are feeling or alternatively do you feel that your husband would prefer email contact as he would email us on the contactus@macmillan.org email address and he can receive support that way. 

We are here to support you and your husband so please do contact us when ever you need to

Take care

Alison, Information and Support Adviser

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.

• Thank you so much for your kind words - I will have a look at the link you've provided - I've know my husband 35 years and he know he keeps things in so not to worry me - he's kind and caring but never been one to let his feeling out about these sprt of things- as the days have gone on I think he's coming more to terms with it - I'm so upset about his mum but again I'm trying not make it about e so he feels he has to look after me on top of what he's going through- I guess I just came her so I had somewhere to say my feelings too - again im thankful for your reply - I will contact the number if I feel I need more support- I will also pass this all on to his sister as I now she's struggling too - even you replying has helped me xxx