Support needed

• 2 replies
  • 15 subscribers

My mum has recently been diagnosed with advanced cancer and the last few days I can't stop crying. I feel angry and numb at the same time. I'm so angry this has happened to her. I feel helpless. I'm doing everything I can but all I want to do is turn back time. I feel so alone.

• Hello  and thank you for reaching out to the online community. 

I am so sorry to hear about your mum's diagnosis. This must be a very difficult time for you all. How is your mum just now? 

When a loved one gets a diagnosis, it can be a lot to get your head around. It's understandable you are feeling the way you are just now. You may have days when you feel stronger than others and some days you may feel a mixed array of emotions and some days it may feel overwhelming. There is no right or wrong way to feel act or behave. If you need to cry, cry. Try not to put pressure on yourself to stop crying, as this is just a physical outlet for the emotion you feel. Please be patient and kind to yourself you are going through a lot right now. 

I am so sorry to hear that you are feeling alone. I wonder if you have any support around you at all?

I wonder if you have had a look to see what local support there may be in your area at all? Local Dashboard Choose Location - Macmillan Cancer - Macmillan Cancer Support is a link for information on our website where there is contact details of local support that is available, such as support groups and places to drop in to have a chat and get information. 

You would be welcome to contact us on the Macmillan Support Line to talk things through. We offer emotional support and a listening ear, as well as signposting to any other services or organisations that may be able to offer support. We also have a team of cancer information nurses, if you have any medical queries, and a Money and Work team who can give guidance on rights at work, benefits, grants and schemes, and personal finance, such as mortgages, pension’s and insurance. You can call us on 0808 808 00 00, 8 am-8 pm,7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00.

Take care

Alison

Cancer information and support adviser

Alison, Information and Support Adviser

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.

• Thank you so much for your kind and supportive words; it means so much.