Emotions

• 1 reply
  • 13 subscribers

2nd primary high grade endometrial stromal sarcoma. 

After hysterectomy for above last feb have been having 3 monthly ct scans no adjuvant treatment. Last scan peritoneal disease. I am a retired oncology nurse practitioner and thought I could cope  i had breast cancer and treatment in 2009 .Extremely tearful trying to put everything in place paperwork and I am main carer for my mum. My husband is also finding all this very emotional and heartbreaking. How can I seek help advise to sort these emotions so we can start to life what life I have left .

Thank you 

Onc64

• Hello Onc64 and thank you for reaching out to the Online Community.

I’m sorry to hear you and your husband are struggling just now. You’ve been going through so much in the last year or so, it’s understandable you have these feelings and are looking for ways to cope with them.

Do you and your husband talk to each other or anyone else about how you’re feeling? It can be helpful to try and ‘untangle’ difficult thoughts and emotions by talking them over.

We have a partnership with BUPA where they can perform an 'emotional wellbeing assessment' just to better understand what kind of emotional support might be helpful. One of the possible outcomes from this is a short series of counselling sessions which would be by phone/video chat. You can find out more and refer yourself here or we can refer you over the phone.

Our publication How are you Feeling? The Emotional Effects of Cancer offers advice and guidance to anyone affected by cancer. The booklet discusses how you may be feeling and provides information about further sources of support.

You mentioned that you’re the man carer for your mum. It sounds like a lot to manage with everything else you have going on. Do you feel you have enough support with looking after her? Social Services can carry out a ‘Carers Assessment’ to ensure you’re getting the support you need. You can find out more about this as well as how to get in touch with your local department here.

We’re also here to support you and your husband during this difficult time Onc64. We’re here for your emotional support and we also have nurses and financial teams here on our support line. You can call in on 0808 808 00 00 (7 days a week, 8am – 8pm), web chat or email if you’d prefer.

Take care.

Alex, Information and Support Adviser

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.