free prescriptions?

• 2 replies
  • 14 subscribers

I have tongue cancer and had surgery yesterday - partial glossectomy.

They are hopeful this will be all the treatment I need, ie no partial neck dissection or radiation.

I have been given several meds to take, and the invoice to pay for these prescriptions.

Am I entitled to claim medical exemption from payment?

Thanks

• Dear @teee7,

Thank you for your getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis of tongue cancer and that you have recently had surgery, I hope you are recovering well? I can completely understand your concerns regarding the cost of the medications that are required following your surgery so I’m very glad you have reached out to us as I hope I can provide some information which may be of help today.

I wonder if you’ve spoken to your GP or your medical team to ask if you are eligible for help with your prescription costs? The help you can get for prescription costs does vary across the UK.  In Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, prescriptions are free for everyone whereas in England, prescriptions are free for anything related to cancer or its effects. You need to collect an FP92A form from your GP surgery and apply for a medical exemption certificate. An exemption certificate lasts for 5 years and can be renewed if you are still eligible. Once you have the exemption certificate, you do not need to pay for any prescriptions. This includes prescriptions for medicines that are not related to your cancer treatment. You will need to show the exemption certificate to the pharmacist when you collect your medicines. You can find out more about this via the links below:

Macmillan – help with healthcare costs

NHS  –  Medical  Exemption  Certificate 

In the meantime, please remember that we are here on the Macmillan support line should you need to speak to us as we understand how difficult going through an illness like tongue cancer and treatment can be. We also have a team of cancer information nurses here who you can chat to about any medical concerns you may have regarding your illness as well as our money and work service who are here for any queries you may have in these areas too. Please know that you can contact these teams via the relevant options on the online community, via our live web chat option or you can call our freephone support line 0808 808 00 00. Our opening hours are 8am-8pm, seven days a week.

I really hope this information is helpful @teee7.

Take care,

Marie S - Macmillan

Cancer Information and Support Adviser

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 00 00 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.

• Thank you for that info. I have contacted my GP and will go in to collect a form from them.