Brother stage 4 kidney cancer

• 1 reply
  • 13 subscribers

Hi, my brother has stage 4 kidney cancer, he lives in a flat up 2 flights of stairs. He only goes out for hospital visits with the help of an ambulance crew and a piece of equipment to get him down the stairs. He lives on London. My mum lives in Yorkshire and is also dying of cancer. We are concerned that he won't be able to attend her funeral. Is there any clarity that would help getting him down the stairs and obviously back up once he has returned from the funeral. Thank you

• Dear  

Thank you for reaching out to Macmillan today. I’m so sorry to hear about your mum and brother. I can only imagine how tough this has been for you all. Please know Macmillan will always do our very best to help and support you wherever we can.

I can see you have a query regarding support for your brother to attend your mum’s funeral. I’m glad you felt you could reach out to ask Macmillan. I will certainly do my best to share as much information as I can with you today.

I can see your brother already has an ambulance crew supporting him to attend hospital visits alongside a piece of equipment. I wonder if it may be worth having a look at our ‘Transport and Parking’ page. Here you can access community-based transport and more that may help. It may also be worth reaching out to your brother’s local authority to see if they provide a service to assist with this.

Additionally, your brothers GP surgery may have a service in place that could help. You may also find the Royal Voluntary Service helpful, in particular they have a web page called ‘Getting out and about’.

If you find this information so far hasn’t produced any offers of support for your brother, It may be worth trying a local information and support hub which can be found through Macmillan’s In your area option. You can search for local support close to your brother and even contact a local information hub that may have services that could support your brother.

I hope this information helps today  . Please do reach back out should you find you need further information or support.

Take the best of care.

Becki, Information and Support Adviser

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.