• 1 reply
  • 13 subscribers

Please could anyone advise me concerning my dad who has aggressive prostate cancer,  and legiens on the bladder also. He lives in a council property 50 miles away from me. Can he tranfer council to be closer to me so I can support him. Not sure where to start.

  • Hello  

    My name is Jess. I’m a Cancer Information and Support Adviser here at Macmillan.

    I’m sorry to hear of your dad’s diagnosis, and I can hear how the distance between you two is making things feel more challenging. I’m really glad you’ve felt able to ask this question and hopefully I’ll be able to give you some direction with this.

    First of all, I would suggest he speaks with his existing council house provider about his situation. They would be able to give him further information and guidance on the correct process to follow to move between councils. If they aren’t already aware, it’s certainly worth letting them know of his medical condition as well, so they are able to provide the most appropriate and timely support.

    It might also be an idea to reach out to an organisation such as the Citizen’s Advice Bureau as they can provide further guidance on the process and help to ensure your dad is getting the right support from the councils during this change.

    Shelter also have some useful information on their website about Tenancy Transfers.

    You mentioned the purpose of this move is to make sure you are able to support him. Does he have any help or support in place in the meantime? If not, and you are worried about this, you’re welcome to contact us here on the Macmillan Support Line and we can discuss in more detail. We’re here seven days a week from 8am-8pm, on 0808 808 00 00. You can also use our webchat or email too.

    This does sound a lot for you to be dealing with at the moment  , how are you coping with it all? I’d like you to know we’re here for you as well, and you can get in touch to talk things through whenever you need to.

    Do take care, sending best wishes