Hospital Travel

  • 1 reply
  • 12 subscribers

Hello, I am seeking some advice about travel services.

My father has oncology appointments at various hospitals (Kingston/ St George's/ Royal Marsden). Transportation is becoming a challenge for my mum to manage as his mobility as become reduced and just getting him into and out of the car is more difficult, plus her confidence to drive longer distances is not what it once was so this is a concern. They have used taxi's/uber but this doesn't assist with the mobility challenges - ideally a service that offers assistance with getting in and out of the vehicle is needed going forward so I am trying to identify some options. I am overseas so unable to assist and looking into mobility support transport services.

As far as I can tell my dad wouldn't be eligible for hospital provided transport services, and my mum would be looking to travel with him which doesn't seem to be an option with these services. I have been looking into whether there are any privately funded mobility transport options but have been unable to identify anything suitable in the area (Surbiton, Surrey). I am wondering whether there may be any advice on options I could look into further? Key things we are looking for are pre-bookable; mum can travel with him if needed and assistance with getting him in and out of the vehicle. 

Thanks in advance

  • Hello hfitzg and thank you for contacting the online community.

    I’m sorry to hear about your parents’ difficulty in arranging suitable transport to your father’s hospital appointments. I imagine this is adding further stress to what must be an already difficult time.

    The Community Transport Association (CTA) is a national charity that represents and supports providers of community transport: thousands of local charities and community groups across the UK that all provide transport services that fulfil a social purpose and community benefit. You can enter your parents’ postcode here to find out what there is locally.

    Organisations like the Royal Voluntary Service and Age UK offer transport in certain areas and their GP surgery may be able to provide information about local voluntary groups or ‘good neighbour’ schemes.

    If your parents have to pay for transport to and from hospital, they may be eligible to claim some money back. There’s information on our website about how to do this.

    I appreciate it can’t be easy knowing your parents are going through this from afar hfitzg, how are you just now? We’re here to support you all through this so please come back to us if you have any further questions and of course feel free to pass on our details to your parents.

    You can call in on 0808 808 00 00 (+44 207 091 2230 is our overseas number) 7 days a week, 8am – 8pm, web chat or email if you’d prefer.

    Take care.

    Alex, Information and Support Adviser

    Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.