Sick pay

• 1 reply
  • 4 subscribers

Hi unrelated I was off work due to anxiety and depression and was on full pay for 6 months without enhancement then 6 months at half pay without enhancements this is coming to an end in July . Last week I was diagnosed probable lung cancer waiting now for PET scan I have no idea if work (NHS) will pay statutory sick pay . I’m 72yrs and work one night shift a week to top up my pension is there any I can claim 

regards 

• Hi Dito

My name is Linda and I am one of the Work Support Advisers on our Macmillan Support Line. I am sorry to hear about your long term health problems as well as a potential Lung Cancer diagnosis. I can appreciate that it must be a worrying time for you.

I can advise on your Rights at Work if you have been affected by Cancer.

It is important to remember if you are a cancer patient, that you are protected under the Equality Act 2010 (or Disability Discrimination 1995 if you live in Northern Ireland) from the date of your diagnosis, this remains in place for as long as is needed. Cancer is automatically recognised as a disability under the Act and this means that your employer must not discriminate against you because of the cancer, or for reasons relating to it. 

You may wish to refer to our booklet ‘Your Rights at Work when Affected by Cancer’ for further information 

With regards to your Sick Pay, an Employer will have their own policy on this as to what they offer Employees. An Employer must pay Statutory Sick Pay ( SSP) as a minimum if the Employee qualifies for this. However, some Employers will offer more than this as is the case with the NHS. Your SSP is normally included in your Occupational Sick Pay which has already been paid and topped up by the Employer depending on their policy. I would advise that you check your payslips or ask your Employer if SSP has already been included in your sick pay to date.

Regarding any Benefit Entitlement or financial claims , I would recommend reaching out to our Welfare Rights team here on the Support Line regarding your  circumstances as they will be able to explore any support, that you may be eligible for. The team can be reached on 0808 808 00 00 pressing option 1,2 and 2 again. Alternatively they can be contacted here by online chat.

We also have our Financial Guidance team here on the Support Line. They are available on the above number too, Monday to Friday, from 8am until 6pm selecting option 1, then 2, then 1. By email or chat online. They can provide guidance relating personal finances, such as, mortgages, debts, loans, insurance, pensions etc.

I do hope this information has been helpful to you but please do not hesitate to get back in touch if you have any further questions .

Best wishes,

Linda

Work Support Advisor

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email