Work Closure

  • 2 replies
  • 5 subscribers

Hi, my workplace is closing at the end of the year due to the owners retiring, I am currently on long term sick as I'm undergoing fortnightly chemotherapy for incurable stomach cancer.  I receive PIP and New Style ESA, what happens regarding these payments and do I need to do anything??  Any advice would be appreciated xx

  • Hi , thank you for your question to our Work Support team. I am just writing to let you know that the team are aware of your question and they'll respond to you as soon as they can.

    Best wishes,


    Macmillan Community team

  • Hi #WildCherry


    My name is Stacey and I am an adviser in the Work Support team here at Macmillan. I am sorry to hear that your workplace is closing at the end of the year. You will of course want to make sure that you can claim all benefits that you may be entitled to.

    Our team are here to help you discuss problems at work – such as checking if you will be receiving all payments due from your employer. This would include any notice pay, accrued leave etc. when your employment ends. Here is a link to our booklet on Work and Cancer:

    Work and Cancer booklet

    Please find some information (as below) on closing a business:

    citizens advice closing a business - employee rights

    However, as your query is more about accessing state benefits it would firstly be more appropriate to talk with our Welfare Rights team . The team are not a part of the ‘Ask the Expert’ forum but can be contacted by calling 0808 808 0000 and selecting options 1,2 and 2.   They can also be contacted via LiveChat and by Email. Their opening hours are 8am until 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am until 5pm on Saturday and Sunday  If you could have information on your household income, main outgoings (such as council tax, rent/mortgage and utility bills) and details of any savings and investments to hand when you contact them. They will be happy to support you from there.

    I would also like to mention our Financial Guides team (who you can contact on this  webchat). They can advise you on other financial queries you might have such as pensions, insurance policies, mortgages and money management, arranging wills and general financial planning questions. They can also be contacted on the same phone number of 0808 808 0000 but by selecting options 1,2 and 2 again.


    I hope that you will be able to access the information you need following the links given above. Otherwise, feel free to use the Macmillan support line services If you need further support


    Work Support Advisor

    Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email


    Work Support Adviser

    Remember, you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am – 8pm) or by email.