Work and cancer

  • 1 reply
  • 4 subscribers

Hello my mum was diagnosed with anal cancer, she’s under chemotherapy and radiotherapy treatment for next 5 weeks, she worked as a care assistant but obviously she’s not strong enough to do the job. I would like to know what she can do for money support, my dad is retired and gets only basic government retirement so they struggle with money at the moment. Any advice will be appropriate 

  • Hi Sunset


    Thank you for contacting Macmillan Cancer Support. I am sorry to hear about your mum’s Cancer diagnosis .My name is Linda and I am one of the Work Support Advisers at Macmillan.

    I am not sure if your mum is still employed but off work sick or if she has ended her employment. If your mum is still employed, she may be eligible for sick pay from her employer and should ask what the Company policy is regarding this. An Employer is not obliged to pay more that the Statutory Sick Pay ( SSP ) unless the employment contract or company policy states differently.

    Our area of expertise on the Work Support Team focuses on employment law and making sure people are aware of their rights. As such, benefit queries are outside our remit and so I would need to direct you to a team of Macmillan Welfare Rights advisors.

    The Welfare Rights team is unfortunately not currently available on our Online Community so are unable to facilitate a response via the Community. However, they are available to speak to by calling 0808 808 0000 from Monday to Friday between 8am and 8pm and weekends from 9am until 5pm by selecting option 1, followed by option 2 and option 2 again. Alternatively, you can email them your query directly using this link.

    If you have any employment-related concerns, I would encourage you to come back to us as we would be happy to advise you further.