Financial help go family

• 1 reply
  • 10 subscribers

hi there my dad has cancer and is being supported by you, he’s still waiting for benefits to come throu and has no money, iv helped him out a bit but he’s now back in hospital and I haven’t even got the money to get to him, it’s costing me so much and a lot of the time it’s far to travel I was just wondering if there is any help for me the family any grants or loads or funding for travel, I feel awful I can’t even get to him atm I struggle to with money as I have 5 kids, not sure who to email or ask

• Hi  

Thanks for contacting us. I'm sorry to hear about your dad and the struggles you're having.

We have a dedicated group of Welfare Rights Advisers who can go through a full benefit check with you; including a check for one-off grants. The Welfare Rights Advisers don’t currently have a section on Ask an Expert, but you can  speak to them by phone on 0808 808 0000 and they’re available Monday to Friday 8am – 8pm and on weekends 9am – 5pm.

If you prefer you can also contact them via webchat here by selecting “Chat to us” and then the “Welfare Benefits & Grants” option. 

The Welfare Rights advisor you speak with will ask you to confirm some details such as your household income, cost of rent/mortgage, council tax and utilities, and any savings you have - this is just to see if any other help is available.

Another resource that may be useful is Turn2us. They're a UK charity which aims to support people with their finances.

They offer a grants search which can be used to search for various benevolent funds and charity groups that might be able to offer grants or other types of help. You can access the grant search here:

https://grants-search.turn2us.org.uk/

Or call them directly on: 0808 802 2000, 9.00 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays).

Just so you know, our service Financial Guidance, can offer information and guidance on all aspects of your personal finances to help you make informed decisions in the following areas;

Pensions and retirement options

Questions about insurance policies

Mortgages and money management

Arranging wills and trusts to protect your family

General financial planning questions

If there is anything from the above list that you would like to discuss, please reply to this message, or speak to us directly on the number above. Our team are available Monday to Friday 8am – 6pm.

Kind Regards

Will 

Financial Guide