Pension issue

• 1 reply
  • 11 subscribers

Hello,

my mum has recently been been diagnosed with terminal cancer with a prognosis of months. She is only 55, and was working until her diagnosis. She is currently on sick leave. Of course one of her main worries is money. What are her options with claiming her pension as terminally ill/claiming sickness leave? She’s worried about leaving my dad without any financial support so is also worried that if she claims her pension she will potentially leave my dad without her death in service benefit. What are the options? If she decides on one will she lose the other. It’s an absolute mind-field and we don’t know where to turn. 

thanks you

Alex

• Good afternoon Alex, 

I’m sorry to hear about your mum’s diagnosis, I can appreciate what a difficult time this is for you all.

There may be ill health retirement options available for your mum to consider, but as you say, accessing the pension needs to be weighed up against the potential of losing any death benefits. 

We’d need a bit more information regarding your mum’s pension to give you the correct guidance and tailor relevant information for your mum’s unique situation. I invite you to call us on 0808 808 0000, Option 1, then 2, then 1, Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, to discuss further. We’re also on webchat if you prefer.

Looking at all options when making a decision regarding pensions can seem quite a lot to consider, but when we know a little bit more about the pension, we will be able to explain what options your mum has and what things she needs to consider when making her decision.

Best Wishes 

Melanie 

Financial Guide