Cyber knife

• 1 reply
  • 10 subscribers

We live in Devon and my husband is in his 40's and has many tumors due to a very rare genetic condition. Last may 2023 we had to goto St Bart's for a week for Cyber Knife treatment and Radiotherapy. He has just been diagnosed with 4 more new tumor's and we are off to London again. For pre-op appointments, and then his treatment. Can we claim Transport costs. We have already spent over £1200 on train tickets alone, let alone loss of earnings and arrangements for childcare. Can we claim this as the Cyber Knife is not available in Devon or anywhere near? We are not on benefits. We both work, he is a farm worker and I work part time. We struggle as he is on pills and he is exhausted even before treatment. Please advise Thanks Emma

• Hi  

Thank you for getting in touch. I’m so sorry to hear about your husband’s diagnosis and the financial strain of having to travel so far for his treatment.

We have a dedicated team of Welfare Rights Advisors who can help you understand if there is anything you can claim back for the travel. They can also make you aware of any benefits or grants you may be entitled to.

Please give the team a call on 0808 808 0000 and select option 1, then 2 and then 2 again.

They are available Monday – Friday 8am to 8pm and Saturday and Sunday 9am – 5pm.

You can also contact them via webchat here by selecting “chat to us” and then the “Welfare Benefits and Grants” option.

Just so you know, the Financial Guidance Service can provide information and guidance on all aspects of your personal finances to help you make informed decisions in the following areas:

• Pensions and retirement options
    • Questions about insurance policies
    • Mortgages and money management
    • Arranging wills and trusts to protect your family
    • General financial planning questions

If there is anything from the above list that you would like to discuss, please reply to this message, or speak to us directly on the same number. To reach the Financial Guidance team, please choose option 1, then 2 and then 1 again. Our team is available Monday – Friday 8am – 6pm.

James
    Financial Guide