• 1 reply
  • 10 subscribers

Hello I just had a right lower lobectomy surgery, now I'm having a chemotherapy started on the 2nd January this year, the chemotherapy is so painful and been told will last till next year, I'm married with tow boy's 3 and 8years, now the landlord is selling flat and want me to leave the property ASAP after 10 years, so is there any advice how I can get a council flat or how to get in-touche with housing associations or council. Thank you in advance.

  • Hello Dja.


    Thank you for getting in touch. I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis and your living situation.


    Below are some details of a housing charity that may be able to offer support with your situation.



    Shelter is a charity who provide advice on housing issues. They can be contacted via:

    www.shelter.org.uk      Tel: 0808 800 4444

    Lines are open from Monday to Friday 8:00am until 6:00pm.  In Scotland lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am until 5:00pm.

    Calls are free from UK landlines and all major UK mobile operators.

    Alternatively, if you live in Northern Ireland, contact Housing Advice Northern Ireland:

    https://www.housingadviceni.org    Tel: 028 9024 5640


    Just to let you know, our Financial Guidance Team can offer information and guidance on all aspects of your personal finances to help you make informed decisions in the following areas:

    Pensions and retirement options

    Questions about insurance policies

    Mortgages and money management

    Arranging wills and trusts to protect your family

    General financial planning questions


    As part of our Money and Work Team, we also have a dedicated group of Welfare Rights Advisers that I feel would also be good for you to talk to. They can check if you are entitled to state benefits and can help to access other financial support, such as one-off grants to help with those extra costs. You can contact them on freephone 0808 808 0000 and they’re available weekdays 8am – 8pm and weekends 9am – 5pm. If you’d prefer you can also contact them via webchat here by selecting “Chat to us” and then the “Welfare Benefits & Grants” option.

    They will ask you for some financial details such as your household income, amount of any savings, cost of rent/mortgage, council tax and utilities just to see if any other help is available.


    Kind Regards


    ​Best wishes, 

    Macmillan Financial Guide ​
    Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts.
    free on 0808 808 00 00 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.