Grants for house modifications

  • 1 reply
  • 12 subscribers

Hi, my wife has incurable stage 4 breast cancer. Looking forward she will find it more difficult to get up stairs to the bathroom.

Is there any grants or discounts available towards creating a ground floor bathroom.


  • Dear Bigmac,

    Thanks for getting in touch. I’m sorry to hear about your wife’s diagnosis. I can understand that you’re looking to the future and any possible modifications that may need to be made to your property.

    As part of our Money and Work team we have a team of Welfare Rights Advisers who can check if there any grants that you may be entitled to. They can also check if you’re entitled to state benefits.

    They’re not available on Ask an Expert but you can contact them on freephone 0808 808 0000 and they’re available weekdays 8am – 8pm and weekends 9am – 5pm. If you’d prefer you can also contact them via webchat here by selecting “Chat to us” and then the “Welfare Benefits & Grants” option.

    They will ask you for some financial details such as your household income, amount of any savings, cost of rent/mortgage, council tax and utilities just to see if any other help is available.

    Just to clarify, the Financial Guidance Service can provide information and guidance on all aspects of your personal finances to help you make informed decisions in the following areas:

    Pensions and retirement options

    Questions about insurance policies

    Mortgages and money management

    Arranging wills and trusts to protect your family

    General financial planning questions

    If there is anything from the above list that you would like to discuss, please speak to us directly on the same number. To reach the Financial Guidance team just select options 1 then 2 then 1 again. Our team are available Monday to Friday 8am – 6pm. Alternatively you can also speak to us on Webchat too by clicking here


    Wendy Murray

    Financial Guide