Going onto half pay at work

• 1 reply
  • 11 subscribers

I am due to go onto half sick pay at work in February 2023.  I can't complain as I have received full sick pay since August.

I had a hysterectomy in August due to pre-cancerous cells in my womb.  Then in October I was diagnosed with oestrogen and progesterone negative breast cancer grade 3 which is also HER2 positive.

Would I be entitled to any benefits or will the fact I'm a house owner (mortgage free) and have savings go against me?

I am currently receiving care from my sister whilst undertaking treatment.  My treatment including a mastectomy is going to take over a year because of the HER2. I was wondering if I was entitled to carers allowance.

Thanks.

• Hello WelshTaz,

Thanks for getting in touch. I am sorry to hear about your situation.

To discuss what financial support is available, I’d like you to speak to our Welfare Rights Team. Unfortunately, the Welfare Rights Advisers don’t currently have a presence on Ask an Expert, but you could speak to them by phone. They’ll be able to do a full benefit check to let you know everything you’re entitled to. You can speak to them on freephone 0808 808 0000 or on webchat here and they’re available Monday – Friday 8am – 8pm and weekends 9am – 5pm. When you speak to them, they’ll need some information about household income, savings and outgoings so please have these to hand.

Just to clarify, the Financial Guidance Service can provide information and guidance on all aspects of your personal finances to help you make informed decisions in the following areas;

Pensions and retirement options

Questions about insurance policies

Mortgages and money management

Arranging wills and trusts to protect your family

General financial planning questions

If there is anything from the above list that you would like to discuss, please reply to this message, or speak to us directly on the same number. To reach the Financial Guidance team just select options 1 then 2 then 1 again. Our team are available Monday to Friday 8am – 6pm.

Take care,

Wendy,