• 1 reply
  • 11 subscribers

I am writing on behalf of my mum who has bladder cancer which has metastasised. She is undergoing a colostomy to reduce the risk of bowel blockages and then will commence palliative radiotherapy for the bladder cancer.  She is unable to do most things for herself or walk very far. She is very fatigued and has a poor appetite.  Can I claim DLA and Attendance Allowance for her?  Also we need to convert her bath to a walk in shower, can I get financial assistance with this please?

  • Hello  

    Thanks for getting in touch. I’m really sorry to hear about your mum’s diagnosis.

    We have a dedicated group of Welfare Rights Advisers who can answer your questions.

    Unfortunately, the Welfare Rights Advisers don’t currently have a presence on Ask an Expert but you could speak to them by phone. You can contact them on freephone 0808 808 0000 and they’re available Monday to Friday 8am – 8pm and weekends 9am – 5pm. If you’d prefer you can also contact them via webchat here by selecting “Chat to us” and then the “Welfare Benefits & Grants” option.

    They will ask you for some financial details such as household income, amount of any savings, cost of rent/mortgage, council tax and utilities just to see if any other help is available.

    Just to clarify, the Financial Guidance Service can provide information and guidance on all aspects of your personal finances to help you make informed decisions in the following areas;

     Pensions and retirement options

     Questions about insurance policies

     Mortgages and money management

     Arranging wills and trusts to protect your family

     General financial planning questions

    If there is anything from the above list that you would like to discuss, please reply to this message, or speak to us directly on the same number. To reach the Financial Guidance team just select options 1 then 2 then 1 again. Our team are available Monday to Friday 8am – 6pm.

    Take care,



    Financial Guide