Travel insurance

  • 1 reply
  • 12 subscribers

I am looking for travel insurance for my husband who has just been diagnosed with cancer in his bowel and liver. Can anyone help please x 

  • Hi  


    Thanks for your enquiry. I’m sorry to hear about your husbands diagnosis.

    Unfortunately we are unable to recommend any specific companies for travel cover as this is not something we are regulated to do. However I hope the following information helps you with your search.

    We often find a good starting place when looking for affordable cover is to use other peoples experiences. If you have not already done so, you can visit the travel insurance section of our online community here. On this page you will find posts from people affected by cancer sharing their experiences of which companies they have approached and who they have managed to get cover from.

    I’d also suggest you take a look at the Travel Insurance directory on the MoneyHelper website which you can access here. The directory can be used to search for FCA approved travel insurers who may offer cover to people with pre-existing medical conditions.

    Another website which may be useful is British Insurance Brokers’ Association (BIBA). They have a travel medical directory which can be used to search for travel insurance for anyone who has a serious medical condition. Their directory also meets the FCA criteria for a medical cover firm directory.


    You can search their directory for travel insurers in the link below:


    Find Insurance - BIBA


    * Please note Macmillan does not endorse any particular company or product that may be advertised on BIBA or MoneyHelper website.   


    Insurance companies use medical screening systems to assess the risk of offering insurance, but many companies use the same system. When you come to apply for cover you might find the medical questions will often be the same. However, the premiums offered by companies using different systems can vary considerably so it is worth persisting and shopping around. If the questions asked don’t seem to fit, or don’t allow you to explain the cancer diagnosis fully, it’s worth asking the insurer if it’s possible for someone to manually underwrite the policy. This is where a person, rather than a computer looks at the health situation of the person looking for cover and decides about whether or not to offer cover and at what price. Some travel insurers may do this as standard. On the directory on the MoneyHelper website it will tell you how each company does their medical screening.

    If you’re travelling within most European countries, a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) is free and currently allows a person access to emergency state healthcare at reduced cost or sometimes for free. To apply for the GHIC card, click here.

    I hope this helps and that you are able to find suitable travel cover. If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to get in touch.


    Kind regards,



    Financial Guide


    The Financial Guidance Service will not advise you on the merits of buying, selling, cancelling or making a claim on a specific financial product from any company or otherwise provide you with any regulated services. As a guidance service, we do not provide financial advice or carry on other activities that are regulated and we are not authorised or regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. No part of our service constitutes, nor is intended to constitute, a financial promotion within the meaning of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 nor an invitation or inducement to engage in investment activity.


    The aim of the Financial Guidance Service is to provide you with information to help you make informed decisions about your personal finances. For financial advice, including recommendations to buy, sell, cancel or make a claim on specific financial products or to obtain any other type of financial services, you should speak to a financial adviser or company who is permitted to provide you with those services. You can find a local financial advice firm or other type of firm who provides regulated services on the Financial Conduct Authority's website -


    The information that we provide you is for general guidance on your rights and responsibilities and is not legal advice. We are not liable to you for any information or services obtained by you from, or given to you by, a third party.