Car insurance

  • 1 reply
  • 11 subscribers

Do I need to inform my car insurer that I have Prostate cancer

  • Hi  

    Thanks for getting in touch, I’m sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis.

    You would need to make your insurer aware of the cancer diagnosis if the DVLA or your medical professional decide that you are unfit to drive.

    The DVLA say they must be informed if:

    The driver has, or develops, any problems with their brain or nervous system
    If the driver’s doctor is concerned about their ability to drive safely
    If the driver is restricted to driving certain types of vehicles, or vehicles that have been adapted for them
    If the driver’s medication causes side effects that are likely to affect safe driving.

    If you are unsure it may be worthwhile speaking to one of your medical professionals or you can call the DVLA Medical Enquiries Team on 0300 790 6806 (England / Scotland / Wales) or 0300 200 7861 (Northern Ireland).

    I would also like to make you aware that the Financial Guidance Service can provide information and guidance on all aspects of your personal finances to help you make informed decisions in the following areas;

    Pensions and retirement options
    Questions about insurance policies
    Mortgages and money management
    Arranging wills and trusts to protect your family
    General financial planning questions

    If you would like to discuss anything further with us, you can speak with a Financial Guide on 0808 808 00 00, just select options 1 then 2 then 1 again or you can also contact us via webchat. Our team are available Monday to Friday 8am – 6pm.

    Kind regards,


    The Financial Guidance Service will not advise you on the merits of buying, selling, cancelling or making a claim on a specific financial product from any company or otherwise provide you with any regulated services. As a guidance service, we do not provide financial advice or carry on other activities that are regulated and we are not authorised or regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. No part of our service constitutes, nor is intended to constitute, a financial promotion within the meaning of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 nor an invitation or inducement to engage in investment activity.
    The aim of the Financial Guidance Service is to provide you with information to help you make informed decisions about your personal finances. For financial advice, including recommendations to buy, sell, cancel or make a claim on specific financial products or to obtain any other type of financial services, you should speak to a financial adviser or company who is permitted to provide you with those services. You can find a local financial advice firm or other type of firm who provides regulated services on the Financial Conduct Authority's website -
    The information that we provide you is for general guidance on your rights and responsibilities and is not legal advice. We are not liable to you for any information or services obtained by you from, or given to you by, a third party.
    If you need more details on your rights, please contact a financial, legal or other appropriate professional adviser