Possible impact of human chemo on a cat

• 11 replies
  • 11 subscribers

This may be an odd one. Last year when my husband suffered from diarrhoea as a side effect of chemo our cat also had terrible diarrhoea too for a couple of days. My husband had the same problem at the end of his first cycle this year and is now in the middle of the second cycle. So far he hasn’t had this side effect but tonight the cat had dreadful diarrhoea once again. Just once and in the litter tray (last year was the same). He’s an old cat and he has really bonded with my husband since he was diagnosed. The cat sits on his lap for long periods of the day and also gets lots of petting and belly rubbing on the floor. 

Has anyone else experienced this? It seems that the chemo is implicated because normally the cat doesn’t have any significant bowel problems. But I’ll accept it’s just coincidence if no-one has had it happen. I googled it and couldn’t find anything.

• How interesting. My little cat cuddles me each morning unless the weather is very bad. If so, she instead shouts and tells me off (honestly she does). At first I couldn't recall any similar reactions but now I think she might have been a bit 'loose' when I was on Folfox. Might be coincidence or my dodgy memory.