Part Four - Got the Blues

2 minute read time.

6th December 2017 attended hospital access lounge in preparation for surgery. I think we got there around 9.30am. Booked in and then sent to the breast clinic. I left my bags in the access lounge. I wasn't allowed to eat after 7am and then only sips of water until 11am, then nothing at all.

At breast clinic, the radiologist used ultrasound to locate my lump, numbed my breast, and then guided a wire into my breast and through the lump. The first of many surreal experiences! The health care assistant tried to take my mind of things by chatting and drawing me into conversations, ending up talking about my daughter's puppy. Then a black circle was drawn on my breast indicating where the surgeon should enter to find the lump. Next... mammogram to ensure the wire was in the correct place. Now I'm not sure it's the kindest thing to jam a boob into a vice when it has a wire, rather thicker than you'd expect, running through. You'd think it would dislodge. Back to the radiologist for them to look at the mammogram pictures. Bad news, the wire had dislodged. That wire was removed and a new one inserted. Back for mammogram, then back to check mammogram pictures. All was well this time and we were good to go to the next stage, to see the breast care nurse on duty. Had a radioactive blue dye injected into my areola, this stung quite a bit but was not unbearable. Once this was done I got re dressed. Had to get my bra back on over the top of this wire sticking out of my breast. Back to access lounge. I rummaged in my bag for a quick sip of water only to be reminded I'd missed my deadline of 11am because of the time spent in the breast clinic. I couldn't have a drink! I was more upset than is rational, and started to feel really low.

I got changed into the standard back fastening gown, TED stockings, and paper pants. Surgery was significantly delayed so sat like that, gowned and wired for what seemed like hours. I went to the loo more times than was necessary. Finally went to surgery around 4pm. 

After the operation, I couldn't go back to the day case ward immediately as they had some issues there. I think I got back to the ward around 7pm. I'm an extremely impatient patient, so I tried to get up and about asap. I had a cup of tea, a ham and cheese sandwich, and a walk to the loo. Slightly shocked to see that my wee was beautifully blue.  Got changed into my pyjamas and asked to go home. My partner was allowed in to collect me around 9pm and took me home. When I walked into my living room, my kids said,'Mam why are you green?' It seems the radioactive blue dye is quite far reaching!
Anonymous