Do i need more chemo??

Less than one minute read time.

Hi not sure if im doin this right lol not very good at this. Well i was diagnosed with breast cancer in aug which is her2 positive i went on a trial so i have had 4 lots of T my tumor shrunk so i had surgery a WLE  my results was lymth nodes clear and margins clear which is good there was a 5mm of residual which was grade 2 now they want me to have 3 more chemo the fec part why?? Surely the 15 lots of rads and my herceptin would be enough but they say its my choice. I dont know what to do for the best 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Morning Eun

If you are HER2+ positive the more common chemo route is 3 x FEC then 3 x Taxotere and the Herceptin which usually starts at the same time as your Taxotere (Docetaxel) sessions.

Obviously the trial you were placed on skewed this, pleased to read the tumour shrunk quite a lot as hopefully expected but are now offering you the FEC you missed out on by being placed on the trial.

Have you asked what % of added benefit against the risk of recurrence you would get from having the FEC as a back up ?

Although Herceptin is a game changer for treating HER2+ recurrence isn't always something that can happen to the same breast it's also about eliminating the risk of having secondaries in the future too.

Radiotherapy is great but it is only targetted to that particular area, whereas chemotherapy is a systemic (whole body) treatment.

I noticed as yet you haven't joined any groups -

It would help you get more experienced replies by having a look at the January Chemo Club (link) in the very active Breast Group. If you click the link and reply to any of the messages there copying in your above text the lovely ladies there will soon reply offering their support and advice.  While you are on the breast group page do select the 'Join This Group' button so if needed you can create a New Discussion should you need to at some time.

Hopefully the breast group ladies will offer you lots of opinions and information to help you reach a decision you are happy with.

Take care, G n' J  (May 2012 also HER2+ BC)